Saturday

Can depression affect blood pressure?

When I was "at my worst" as I like to call the time when I was nearly double my ideal weight and I teetered around each day on the verge of a stroke or heart attack - I often felt low and depressed.

I guess it was related to my self esteem and my body image - and probably to lack of exercise - because I've since discovered that regular exercise is a great way to lift my mood. I've even seen lots of research to show that exercise can help treat and prevent depression.

But can depression affect blood pressure?

Well, my blood pressure was high and I was certainly depressed but I'm not sure if the two are related - at least in my own case.

I've been reading a lot about blood pressure since I had my own problems - pretty much everything I can get my hands on actually - and I've seen stuff saying that high stress or anxiety levels can cause the blood pressure levels to go up. Maybe that's why they call it "hyper" "tension" !
But I don't recall reading anything actually about depression causing blood pressure problems or depression making high blood pressure worse.

Again folks - same old same old. Just chip in with comments if you feel you can add to this.

R

No comments:

Post a Comment